Sunday 17 June 2012

Gwenda Evans: more than a mother of famous


Gwenda Evans may be known by many as the mother of The Edge, U2's guitarist, but after 50 years in Malahide, a native of Wales was established as a recognized artist.

Tell us a little about yourself and how you ended up living in Malhide?
My husband and I are Garvin of Wales and he was working for the Plessey Company in London. They asked him to come to Swords them to run the factory.
Employment in Plesseys was not to last long and Garvin began his own consulting firm. He is to retire (that's what he always says). The boys were born in England and when we moved our daughter Gill was born here.

Before we talk about his famous son, as you call it?
I call him Dave, but most times I'm talking about it, I call him Edge because people know him well.

Since he was a child and when he showed interest in music?
Both my husband and I are very musical. We sang in the choir site. Music has always been part of our lives. I used to sing to my children, so they have a good ear for music very early. All three are good. People say I should be proud of Edge, but I'm proud to say that all my children.

Edge played many instruments when he was younger?
He also played piano and had lessons. He started playing guitar when he was about 14 or 15 years. Richard, his elder brother, taught him some chords.
Once Edge got a guitar, he would not let her anymore. And we said: "Be quiet a bit. We want to hear the news. "He loved the guitar, for sure.


What he wanted to be when you were younger?
I think he was not sure. As everyone knows, he went to Mount Temple and was doing high school, but by that time, the band had already begun. He was 15, 16. He finished high school and was accepted to study at Kevin Street General Science or something. However, he asked to take a year out of school to see if the band would take on something or not.
We said "Okay, if by the end of the year nothing happens, you go to college." He took one year off and did various jobs with the band. At year's end, he has not had a contract, so he ended up going to the Kevin Street, where he stayed only six weeks. Then they signed the contract. He dropped out of college and the rest is history.

That's when you realized that he could have a career in music?
We thought he might try. We said: "What happens if the band does not work? "He told us not to worry because he could earn enough as a musician. He really wanted to try.
At first, we feel that the band was a great hobby and we like the fact that he has something to occupy. We did not expect it to end turning something so serious.

You went to the first shows?
Yes! I went to his first roadie! I had an old VW Beetle and we could put all the equipment there. He still did not drive, so we took him to shows, the equipment down, heard a few songs, he would do something else and come back to get them. From the beginning, I liked their music. I still like.

You still hear them?
Yes, I still go to shows. We try to go somewhere exotic, we've never been before, and then took advantage and took a vacation.

What is your favorite memory of the success story of U2?
The first time they played at Croke Park in 1985. They were doing a tour of the Edge and the daughter was a baby then. It was the crowd and excitement of the audience they are playing at home. It was as if I had a lump in my throat and tears down without stopping. I went to the dressing room and said: "It was a blast." The crowd knew all the songs and was singing along. It was wonderful. I remember saying to the Edge: "I feel so silly to be crying" "Do not worry, Mom" ​​- he said. There was nobody who was not crying in the dressing room, including the staff who worked with them. Most of these people still work with them. It's like one big family.

You give advice to them?
They would not accept. When they were still unknown, I used to say: "Go down that damn noise!" But they are very good. One of the things I pride myself on is that they use their fame to do good.
Bono, in particular, is a great speaker. No matter who he has to talk to get things for Africa. He uses his name to open the doors and he is very good at it.
Edge part of the Music Rising, where they can seek new tools for schools in New Orleans. All the musicians lost their instruments, the houses and everything. I'm glad they are not accommodated.

Source: UV

No comments: